Iowa A Top Ten “Heaviest Drinking State”
Iowa is known for a lot of things. Corn. Wrestling. Caucuses. We can also add in the distinction for being one of the heaviest drinking states in the country.
In a report released by safehome.org Iowa was the 7th drunkest state in the U.S.A.
The report used 5 metrics to come up with this conclusion.
- Percentage of adults 18 and older who have consumed alcohol in the past month.
- Percentage change in that number between the 2008-2009 and the 2016-2017 collection periods.
- The number of craft breweries in the state per 100,000 drinking age adults.
- The percentage of adults who acknowledge binge-drinking in the past month.
- The amount of alcohol consumed per person.
The full top 10:
District of Columbia (this explains SO much)
To find the other half of our Quad Cities, you have to scroll down the list a bit to find Illinois at number 18.
Check out all the state rankings and stats at safehome.org.
Enter your number to get our free mobile app