Big Ice Rink/Rec Center/Waterpark In The Works In Bettendorf
A proposed multi-million dollar project would replace 3 amenities in the city of Bettendorf.
The city teamed up with the YMCA of the Iowa Mississippi Valley to propose amenities that will replace Splash Landing, Frozen Landing, and the Life Fitness Center off of Middle Rd.
So specifically, an ice rink, waterpark, and a rec center. The whole thing is referred to as "The Landing". It comes with a $22 million price tag but no city tax increases are expected.
WHBF reports that the plan still needs to be approved by the city council and the YMCA Corporate Board. Here's a look at the layout:
You'll remember that the city of Bettendorf had to close Splash Landing early this summer because of paint problems. The new waterpark will have many features, per the city's website:
- Activity Pool with Rock Climbing Wall, Basketball, Floatables, Lap Lanes, and More
- 3-Story Tall Slide Tower with 2-Story Tall FlyTyme Slide, Raft/Tube Slide, Open Body Slide, and Speed Slide
- Splash Deck with Interactive Play Structure
- 430-Foot Long Lazy River
The Ice Rink
According to the city's website about the proposed ice rink, it will be:
- Larger Ice Rink with Island Feature
- Permanent Structure
- Decorative, Safer Railing System for Beginner Skaters
- Pole Lighting System & LED Colored String Lighting
- Zamboni Room
The "Unique Recreational Center"
As part of this deal, the Y would take over the Life Fitness Center and make it into a youth-focused Y. The city's website says it will have:
- Early Learning Center for 100 Additional Children in the Quad Cities
- Gymnastics/Ninja Center
- Indoor Recreational Soccer & Basketball Programs
- Summer Recreational Sports Camps
- Youth Personal Training Center
If you have thoughts and questions about the project, you can submit them here. There will be a public hearing about it on Sept. 20th at 7:00 p.m. at the Bettendorf council chambers. There will also be two open houses about it: August 24th & August 29th from 5:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. at the Waterfront Convention Center.